Principal Psychologist (Midland)
Sharon is a Registered Psychologist with a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology. She has considerable experience in working with both children and teenagers as a School Psychologist, a Drug and Alcohol Counsellor, and as a Psychologist in private practice. Sharon is also a qualified Primary School Teacher and Art Therapist. Her professional experience is enriched in being the mother of two gorgeous and at times challenging sons.
Whether it be difficulties at home or school, with family or friends, with playing or learning, Sharon describes her work with children as “just helping to make things better”. When necessary she takes on the role of child/teenager translator, mediator and advocate, to improve communication with the child’s network.
She is skilled in assisting with issues arising from
- separation anxiety and school refusal
- depression, suicidal ideation and self harm
- family conflict from parenting a strong-willed child/teenager
- adjustments to family separation or divorce
- building resilience and self-esteem
- bullying and study and social difficulties
- learning difficulties (SLD: Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Sharon’s primary intervention with her clients is based on Interpersonal Therapy. Her focus is on developing a positive rapport with clients. Sharon then employs evidence-based therapies such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) that addresses her clients thinking, behaviour, and feelings.
Sharon often works with all her clients’ families and other stakeholder’s including teachers, paediatricians, and allied health professionals, towards improving her client’s over-all well-being.